What to pray for others
Sometimes we are at a loss about what to pray for other people. Thankfully, God knows what they need, and the Holy Spirit is interceding, as well. But we can learn to move past our common prayers (like, "Lord, be with them," and "Lord, bless them") to include some of the things the Apostle Paul prayed for his fellow believers. Here are 18 requests, gleaned from Paul's prayers* in his NT epistles:
1. Give thanks for God being at work in them for salvation and growth.
2. Pray that they would know God’s will with all wisdom.
3. That they would walk worthy of (live up to) their calling.
4. For God to enable them to live a life pleasing to him.
5. That they would grow in the knowledge of the Lord.
6. For God to empower them for every good work.
7. For their sanctification in the beauty of holiness.
8. That God would be glorified in and through them.
9. For wisdom and understanding in knowing God.
10. For the Spirit to cause them to know their spiritual blessings in Christ.
11. That they be strengthened by the Spirit inwardly.
12. For them to truly grasp and understand the love of God.
13. For their love to abound more and more, and with discernment.
14. That they would understand the surpassing value of Jesus.
15. For them to bear the fruit of righteousness through Christ.
16. That they would render acceptable service to God’s people.
17. For their deliverance from the evil plans of unbelievers.
18. For them to have boldness in sharing the gospel.
*These requests are adapted from Paul’s prayers in the following chapters of Scripture: Romans 1; 15; 1 Corinthians 1; Ephesians 1, 3, 6; Philippians 1; Colossians 1; 1 Thessalonians 1; 2 Thessalonians 1.